The Endocannawhatta System?!
The Endocannabinoid System (Endo = inside)
Did you know that your body is making cannabis-like compounds right now as you read this? That’s right, even if you’re not a marijuana user, your body uses cannabinoids as part of a very involved way to send messages to other parts of the body. The endocannabinoid system is being heavily researched and so far is thought to be involved in important body functions like sleep, memory, appetite, mood, and fertility.
Even neater, did you know that ALL animals, invertebrates and vertebrates, have been found to have an endocannabinoid system?
Endocannabinoids are things made by the body and their structure is similar to exogenous (exo=outside) cannabinoids, like CBD and THC. There are 2 of them so far and they have crazy names, so good luck with that:
- Anandamine (AEA)
- 2-arachidonoylglyerol (2-AG)
These 2 little puzzle pieces help maintain the body system in homeostasis (balance…namaste!)
Endocannabinoid receptors are the other sides of the puzzle pieces! The endocannabinoids nestle into their receptors, and then the magic happens. There are 2 types of receptors, which have way easier names thankfully:
- CB1 – found mostly in the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord)
- Example: back pain > pain signal to the spinal cord > endocannabinoids released > target CB1 receptors in the spinal nerve causing pain
- CB2 – found in peripheral nervous system (all the other nerves) and immune system
- Example: autoimmune disease > inflammation > endocannabinoids released > target CB2 receptor on immune cells that tell the body inflammation is happening
I can't tell you about any possible benefits of CBD on this platform due to certain regulations, but the future is promising based on current research. My forever promise to you as Dogtor Dani is to translate the current studies for you and educate you on how CBD can benefit our beloved pets.
If you're a mega science nerd like me, here is the link to an amazingly in-depth review on The Endocannabinoid System of Animals.
I'd like to offer up a little reward for all you conscientious pet owners that stuck with it to the end because you wanted to educate yourselves on this subject! Use code ECS25 at checkout to get $25 off your entire order!