CBD for Pets - Where to Start
Obviously, you want the best for your four-legged friend because our pets are family!
CBD for pets is becoming increasingly popular, which means that choices for pet owners to buy CBD is becoming increasingly overwhelming.
If you’re interested in using CBD for your own pet, it’s important to know how to safely and effectively incorporate it into your pet’s regular routine.
You're telling me there's CBD for pets?!
You’ll find several CBD products for pets that are strikingly similar to those made for humans. From CBD pet tinctures to pet treats infused with CBD oil to CBD topicals rubbed directly into the skin, CBD products for pets can be applied in many different ways.
What's the hype about giving pets CBD anyways?
Just like humans, animals can benefit from CBD. All mammals have an endocannabinoid system (check out the blog post on this, you science nerds!).
While scientific studies are currently being done to discover how CBD works within your pet’s system, it’s suggested that it’s similar to the process that occurs in humans.
How do I use CBD for my pet?
Ready to take the dive and join the other pet parents who are using CBD? Here’s how to do so as safely as possible.
3 Tips From a Veterinarian Before Giving Your Pet CBD
1. Actually Read the Labels, People!
First thing's first. You need to make sure the CBD you’re giving your pets is quality. Because the CBD space has historically not been highly regulated, not all CBD products are created equal. The AKC offers the following recommendations when choosing a high-quality CBD oil for your pet.
- Look for premium ingredients. These include ingredients that are free from pesticides, fungicides and other contaminants.
- Don’t price shop. The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. You don’t want to go for a cheaper option that could have toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that tells you the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD products contain only small amounts of CBD. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
You want to choose CBD oil for your pets as you would for yourself. Look for third-party lab test results on all CBD pet products. If a company doesn’t offer these lab results, time to move on to one that does!
2. Actually Talk to Your Veterinarian (Don't Skip This Step...Really!)
CBD is no longer considered as "taboo" medicine. With clinical trials in progress, many veterinarians are learning more about the benefits of CBD. However, there can be drug interactions and side effects of CBD, which is why it is very important to have a conversation with your veterinarian before giving your pet CBD. Vets can answer any questions you might have in an effort to minimize any potential side effects.
3. Actually Introduce Correct Serving Sizes of CBD for Your Pet
When introducing CBD to your pet, Casara Andre, DVM and founder of Veterinary Cannabis Education & Consulting, advises pet owners to “start low and go slow.” Most vets recommend starting pets out with 1mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight twice a day.
The best thing to do? Start with a smaller serving size and monitor your pet’s reaction over a period of three to four weeks. You can then scale up or down, depending on the results.